Over the last few weeks we’ve been making incremental changes on the Player Test Realm to adjust the balancing of Block N Load. The outcome of these is a series of changes to Heroes, Perks, and Blocks based on the feedback we’ve received about them.
These changes are now coming to the main portion of Block N Load, so read on for what you can expect:
Astarella is a Hero that we’ve had a lot of feedback around along with some interesting data which hints at how powerful she can be in the hands of an experienced player but how difficult she is to get to grips with the first time you select her.
Active Ability – Rocket Boost
- Number of charges reduced from 2 to 1.
- Cooldown reduced from 60 to 40 seconds.
A number of people complained that Rocket Boost wasn’t being used for its speed increase, the primary focus of the Ability, but was instead being used for other reasons. Based on that feedback we’ve adjusted it to only have a single charge to provoke more thought in when to trigger it, but reduced the time taken for that charge to be regenerated.
Passive Ability – Rocket Boots
- Knockback dealt when Astarella crouches mid-air to execute a ground-pound attack has been significantly reduced.
This is in response to issues reported with it being too easy to lock players in a state of being knocked back. We’ll review any further feedback about this, and make additional adjustments as required.
Primary Weapon – P.P.P.
- Rate of fire reduced.
- Damage increased.
This is in response to some of the data we have about Astarella, and her being difficult to play. This doesn’t significantly alter the damage-per-second of the weapon, as the reduction in rate of fire is equivalent to the increase in damage.
Active Ability – Lightning Cage
- Frequency at which damage is dealt to Heroes stood in the area of it has been reduced slightly, from once every 0.15 seconds to every 0.2 seconds.
- ”Safe” area inside of the cage has been increased to better match the visuals. This also gives a little more room for anyone trapped inside the Cage to move around.
These changes are based on feedback about the Cage being too powerful when triggered directly on top of someone. Depending on further feedback we may make additional adjustments to the amount of damage done when entering and leaving the Cage area.
Hero Block – Tesla Coil
- Damage to Blocks and Devices near to the Tesla Coil when it is destroyed has been removed
This should make it easier to reposition Tesla Coils without worrying about damaging or destroying traps placed by team-mates.
Primary Weapon – Blitz Stance
- 5 additional damage has been added when landing a fully charged Blitz dash attack on an enemy Hero.
- Amount of time to fully charge the Blitz dash attack has been reduced from 1 to 0.8 seconds.
Secondary Weapon – Graviton Stance
- Width of the alternate “pull” attack has been reduced. Arc has changed from 132 to 100 degrees.
Kreepy the Klown
Primary Weapon – Extendo Gloves
- Automatic reload after using all ammunition has been removed.
- Weapon will still start to reload if you attempt to attack after using all ammunition.
This is another piece of feedback that we received about the reload preventing anyone from following up with a melee attack. Hopefully this change addresses those issues.
Secondary Weapon – Trick Bananas
- Distance an enemy Hero who is hit by, or steps on, the banana peel left by the alternate attack has been increased from between 4 and 6 to between 5 and 8.
We’ll continue to look at what further changes we can make to the Trick Bananas to make their alternate attack more useful.
Secondary Weapon – Ifrit’s Grudge
- Normal attack timing altered to make weapon more responsive.
Whilst the amount of time taken to make multiple attacks has not changed, we’ve attempted to make this feel more responsive after clicking the mouse button. Hopefully this assists with making the weapon accuracy.
Secondary Weapon – Revolver
- Accuracy increased by changing the maximum width of the Revolver’s aim by 20%.
Yury the Yeti
Secondary Weapon – SnowThrower 6000
- Alternate attack now deals critical hit damage if you manage to get that Snow block to land on an enemy Hero’s face.
Passive Ability – Chilling Out
- Healing effect from Ice and Snow slightly increased from 1 to 1.5.
- Distance you can be from a Snow or Ice block and receive the effect increased from 2 to 2.5.
Hero Block – Ice
- Issue reported to us with Ice not returning the correct number of bricks when destroyed has been corrected.
Primary Weapon – Sonic Staff
- Damage against Blocks and Devices increased from 1 to 4.
- Issue with a Block Skin resulting in lower than intended placement costs has been resolved. The Block Skins should now cost the same to place as the base block.
- Health reduced from 90 to 80.
- Toughness reduced from 6 to 5.
- Resistance to splash damage (area of effect weapons) has been increased from 40 to 50%.
Feedback around the Foam Block was that it was a nice idea, but wasn’t different enough from the other Blocks already available. This change should help to make the Foam Block more vulnerable to direct attacks (for example, digging or rifle shots) but less vulnerable to explosives.
- Toughness increased from 1 to 2.
- Toughness reduced from 4 to 3.
This should make the Bush a little bit easier to destroy. We’ll continue to look at what other changes we can make to this Block based on the feedback we’ve received.
We’ve begun adjusting the Perks based on the feedback we’ve been receiving to try and make more of them competitive and varied choices within Block N Load.
- Level 2 hit point increase changed from 10% to 7.5%.
- Level 3 hit point increase changed from 15% to 10%.
Fly Away Bad Guy
Increase in knockback granted by Perks reduced.
- Level 1 from 30% to 20%.
- Level 2 from 40% to 30%.
- Level 3 from 50% to 40%.
We will also be looking at what we can do with the knockback from the Saucer Launcher in general, and if there is a way we can better adjust the standard settings which would then affect the Perk versions as well.
- Reduction in hit point for all levels of the perk changed from 10% to 5%.
Walk It Off
Damage reduction for splash damage and explosions increased.
- Level 1 from 10% to 15%.
- Level 2 from 15% to 20%.
- Level 3 from 20% to 25%.
- Reduction in brick income changed from 10% to 5% for all levels of the Perk.
- Extra fall damage from the Perk reduced from 25% to 15% for all levels of the Perk.
- Reduction in hit points reduced from 10% to 5% for all levels of the Perk.
- Reduction in brick income changed from 50% to 40% for all levels of the Perk.
Wall climbing speed increased.
- Level 1 from 10 to 20%.
- Level 2 from 22% to 30%.
- Level 3 from 33% to 40%.
- Fort Argent has been removed from the Casual map rotation. It is still available in Custom Games.
- Olympia has been added to the options for Custom Games.
We managed to restore Olympia and fix some of the technical issues which prevented it from loading correctly. We’ll be looking at what other maps we can bring back, and whether any of them are suitable for adding to the Casual or Ranked modes.